Sunday, October 22, 2006

My Quest

Will this blog be a record of patheticness or a journal of glorious achievement?

***

Okay. Here's the deal. I'm forty-eight years old. I work out. But just strength training. I'm not the greatest on the cardio. I basically don't do it. Sill I'm in decent shape. I think I look alright. I weigh 227 lbs. But I am also 6'8."

A couple months ago I read an article in Men's Health on-line newsletter, Anyone Can be a Triathlete. It has stuck with me. The key, of course, is that you can do one of these mini-triathlons -- 1/2 mile swim, 10 mile bike ride, four mile run. Now that's at least doable -- attainable without quitting your job and dedicating your whole life to training.

As a kid I watched the Iron Man Triathlons on ABC's Wide World of Sports, and was fascinated by them. I didn't ever think I could do one. Now, thanks to these min-triathlon's at least being in a triathlon-- finishing one -- is possible.

Not that it will be easy.

Here's my breakdown of the three legs:

Swimming -- I'm a decent swimmer. I've swum a mile before. Probably about six years ago I belonged to a pool and swam laps on a regular basis. I live right across the street from the place. While I probably couldn't swim a mile today unless my life depended on it, I will easily be able to get where I need to go.

Biking -- Here's the big problem. I haven't ridden a bike since I was a kid and went over the handle bars on my first bike with hand breaks. I was knocked unconcious, had ten stitches, and never grew an adult front tooth beacuse my adult tooth must have ripped right through my gums because I have a scar there. This is going to be a big deal. Also, because I am a paramedic I respond all the time to bike accidents. On the good side, I live about twelve miles from my work place and could concievable ride my bike to and from work once I learn how to ride.

Running -- Another problem. I don't think I have ever run more than two miles in my life. I doubt I could run a quarter of a mile today unless of course my life depended on it. I get winded easily, and have to lean over hands on my knees coughing and spitting.

But I could be a triathlete. I just want a tee-shirt that says participant triathlon on it, and to know that I ran and completed a course.

I have already found out that in the summer in a neighboring town there is a weekly mini-tiathlon. Here's the description:

Winding Trails Tri-Training Series
The weekly triathlon series will run on Tuesday evenings at Winding Trails. This year’s series will consist of a 1/4-mile swim or kayak in Dunning Lake, a 8k trail ride (you must use a hybrid or off-road bike for the biking portion of the race), and a 5K-trail run through our beautiful woods. All ability levels are encouraged to come out and train in this friendly and fun environment.


1/4 mile swim, 8K trail ride, 5K trail run.

8K is a little less than five miles and 5K is a little over 3 miles.

So what have I done about it all so far?

I bought a pair of running shoes a week ago. I found out I was a size fourteen when I have been wearing thirteens all these years. The problem was the clerk sent me home with the 13s instead of the 14s and when I went back the 14s had been sold, so now they are on order.

I bought a book, Triathlon Training in Four Hours a Week, about triathlons and how to prepare for them.

I read or skimmed it last night.

I was going to run today after work but I left my gear at home. I could run when I get home, but my girlfriend is there waiting for me. She has been away for several days. It will be hard to get away from her.

There is tomorrow morning. I don't have to work till nine.

Tomorrow. Tomorrow morning.

Stay tuned.